Mixed Berry Scones ~

So, I have never made scones before … nor have I ever made anything that had the words “mixed berry” in the name .. I’ve never been a “berry” person .. but, ya know, I’m trying to branch out. Be a bigger person. Grow in my interests … that kind of thing =p


Recipe called for Strawberry Preserves … yeah, I didn’t have that …

Big problem with that is that I don’t like Strawberries .. the flavor is fine … but the seeds? I hate the seeds … really really don’t want them in my mouth …

Here is a picture of the roughly combined dry goods + butter. I didn’t bother to cream the butter before hand so it is super clumpy … I didn’t think this was a bad thing though and I think this is what the recipe had in mind!


I just thought this looked neat before I mixed the eggs with the cream/milk. Also, no vanilla extract yet … it just looked so serene ~~


When I started to add in the blueberries and the strawberries, I noticed a significant up-kick in the moisture content of my mixture …


Honestly, I thought it looked gross! I also didn’t want to mush up the berries too much so I pulled the bowl off of the mixer and did the rest by hand … literally … that spatula there was no help at all! Oh and my sink is full of dirty dishes (not really here or there but super relevant to me)!


Awe look at that pitiful amount of flour on that cutting board? Is that enough? I don’t think so!  I think I ended up using another cup or so of flour to get this mixture to be more dough like instead of just a gooey mess that really liked to stick to everything …


Maybe I added a bit too much flour … this is how the first set of scones looked before going into the over. Then I reformed the rest of the dough to get a few more before I just gave up and threw the rest of it away … I didn’t know what to do with it at that point … it was still super sticky and kinda messy and did I mention gooey? It was gooey too …


Second time rolling out the same dough


I used a pizza cutter to get the triangles


This group rose up a bit higher before baking than the first group …

The recipe I used asked me to bake them at 350 for 20 minutes … after the first 20 minutes … well, they were not done and the butter seemed to be oozing out so I raised up the temperature to 375 and set a 5 minute timer. I think that was the best course of action … ya, definitely!


Batch #2


Batch #1

They ended up being in the oven a little longer than 25 minutes overall. They had a nice light brown crust on the bottom and I’m assuming that the top will look more appetizing when I add the icing in the next step! =)

So here is what they look like after spending a day in the fridge. Not so appetizing here either … but I was really hopeful!

I mixed together some melted butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract and got this? It was like a spread more than an icing drizzle .. the taste was right but the consistency wasn’t

The taste was super good after popping them in the microwave for a few seconds. Sugary, soft and yummy! I don’t think I’ll be making these again though and I don’t know what to do with the rest of the scones … hoping I can give them to someone who likes Strawberry seeds more than me lol =)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s