Tablescape Competition: Polishing Silver 

After considering a few different table ideas, I settled on The Lord of the Rings inspired table. Ultimately, my theme was a “Wizards Table” … which may or may not belong to Gandalf. Who is to say really? *wink*

To do this, I spent a lot of time going to thrift stores! Thankfully, being in Southern California there is no shortage of Thirft Stores and I ended up visiting about 15~ to get the things I could from there. I saved a ton of money by utilizing thrift stores too!

One of the coolest things I picked up were some silver plated wine glasses! But, they were super grungy and … well, old!

img_9262

So, I googled how to polish silver so I could remove that black gunk on the outside! And, I got this recipe: Line a kitchen sink with aluminium foil, fill it with hot hot water, and then add half a cup of salt!

Ta-dah!

img_9271

I let them soak like this for about 30 minutes, I would turn the glasses ever so often so all sides were soaking. When I was done soaking the goblets, I refreshed the sink’s contents and then added the silver plated candelabra that I picked up to the mixture!

img_9269

After the soaking, I had this! The black was gone but there was nothing to be done about the gold-ish color shining through. Though, not knowing that at the time, I then bought some silver polish.

img_9339

Yeah, it didn’t help on the glasses at all … but, it super helped on the candelabra!

After the salt/aluminium foil bath the candelabra was relatively the same. So, I took it apart and did a thorough cleaning with the silver polish.

img_9272

During its bath.

img_9281

After its bath.

The candelabra says on the bottom that it was silver plated over zinc and was made in England~ fancy stuff! The wine glasses just say silver plated and made in China … so, I think the candelabra is more significant in quality!

img_9340

Spent about an hour polishing all of the surfaces and then had to figure out how to reassemble the candelabra into relatively the same shape as before! I had to use a handful of pictures for that but I managed it with only having to take it back apart once before getting it right! (Had the candle holders up side down the first try … )

And … I can’t find a picture of the complete candelabra! Typical! lol

To make my candles look well used, I decided to burn them down for a few hours. I also enlisted the use of a hair dryer to get them to look even more aged =)

Was fun~ Next is … book recovering!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s